I came across this chicken “sandwich”/burger on social media- where people in America have been going crazy over this burger from the fast food chain Popeyes! It really appealed to me as the whole thing looks super crispy and spicy (I love burgers like Spicy McChicken in international McDonalds, but I find some of the UK burgers far too bland)!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 8 chicken thigh fillets
- 4 brioche buns (and some butter to toast them)
- 4 pickles, chopped
- Some shredded lettuce (optional)
- Some white onion, sliced (optional)
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
For the ‘wet mix’:
- 284ml (1 tub) of buttermilk
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Frank’s hot sauce (or any hot sauce)
For the ‘dry mix’:
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of cornflour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black/ white pepper
For the mayo:
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp Frank hot sauce (or any hot sauce), depending on how spicy you want it
- Squeeze of lemon
- Start by mixing all the ‘wet mix’ ingredients together.
- Cut the fat off the chicken thighs and use a knife to make a few holes to allow the flavour to sink in. Place them in this mix. Leave for as long as possible.
- Then mix the ‘dry mix’ ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Place a piece of chicken from the ‘wet mix’ into the dry flour mix, then back again into the wet mix, then back again into the dry mix, to ensure a super crispy coating.
- If you have time, place the chicken onto a piece of foil/ baking paper and put into the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the batter to stick better.
- Place the oil in a pan and heat for deep frying.
- Then deep fry for about 10 minutes until cooked. Alternatively, you can shallow fry the chicken then finish cooking it in the oven, to be healthier.
- Once the chicken is done, toast the buns in a little butter in a pan, until soft.
- Then mix the hot sauce and lemon juice into the mayo.
- Spread the mayo on the buns.
- Top with the chicken, pickles, lettuce and onion.