This dish is inspired by the pizza express pasta dish with chicken, mushrooms and a creamy pesto sauce! So yum. If you are vegetarian, just leave out the chicken.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 200g penne pasta (I use around 50g per person, but use more or less depending on your preference)
- 75g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 600ml whole milk
- 1 jar (190g) green pesto
- 1 large handful of mushrooms (I used about 7)
- 1 large or 2 small red onions
- 2 balls of mozzarella
- 1 large handful of grated parmesan cheese (I used grana padano)
- Basil leaves, to garnish
- Turn on the oven to 190 degrees C/ 375 degrees F/ gas mark 5.
- Place the chicken breasts in a tray and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the pasta in boiling water and cook according to packet instructions. I always add a little salt and oil.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred into large long pieces with 2 forks.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Once melted, add the flour and whisk until incorporated with the butter.
- Once mixed together, slowly add in the milk- little by little, whisking fast as you do so, to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Then add in your jar of pesto and mix. Season generously. You should now have a lovely creamy pesto sauce.
- Add the cooked and strained pasta to the sauce, with a few tbsp of the pasta water.
- Add in the cooked chicken, the mushrooms and onions (both raw, they will cook in the oven) to the pasta and sauce. Mix all together.
- Put into an overproof baking dish. Top with the grated parmesan/ grana padano and torn mozzarella.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the top is bubbling and crispy. Top with the basil.