McDonalds breakfast is one of the joys of life- so I decided to make my own at home!! Turned out to be straightforward and tasty plus a little healthier.
Ingredients: (makes 4)
For the mince:
- 500g pork mince (if you are veggie you can use veggie sausages such as the Richmond meat free ones)
- 5 sage leaves finely chopped or 1 tbsp dried sage
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Generous amount of black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 english muffins
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of American cheese
- Hash browns (optional)
- Pre heat the oven and cook the hash browns according to packet instructions (if using).
- Make the mince mixture by mixing all the ingredients together. I use my hands to mix well.
- Shape into 4-8 patties, depending on how thick you want it. McDonalds have it quite thin- you can add 2 patties to the muffin if you want it double.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for 3 minutes until browned. Then flip.
- Add the cheese to the top of the flipped side. Add a few drops of water inside the pan then put a lid on the pan for the cheese to melt and the meat to finish cooking (about a further 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile make the eggs, by putting a little oil in a pan. Add the egg into a food ring (if you don’t have one, you can fry as usual and then cut around the edge until rounded).
- Add a little water around the food rings in the pan. Put a lid on and cook for 2 minutes until the whites are cooked but the yolk is still runny.
- Put the grill on, and toast the muffins until toasted.
- Ensemble by adding the sausage and the egg in the muffin with some ketchup.
- Serve with hash browns.Enjoy!