My fakeaway to a classic Chinese recipe. You have the option here on using ready breaded chicken, can fry the chicken yourself or use other proteins such as prawns. If you want to make this vegetarian, I coat aubergine pieces in cornflour then deep fry and continue the recipe the same as the chicken then.
Ingredients: (serves 4- starter portion)
- Breaded chicken- I used 1 pack of M&S chicken bites but you could also use 2 breaded chicken breasts and slice them once baked. You can also deep fry chicken pieces coated in soy sauce and cornflour if you like
- 12 garlic cloves, chopped (a lot! But trust me)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 red or green chillies, sliced (use less if you do not like spice)
- 1 tbsp chinese 5 spice powder (can get from most supermarkets in the spice section)
- Generous amount of sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- Coriander to garnish (optional)
- Start by cooking the breaded chicken in the oven according to packet instructions.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a hot wok or large saucepan.
- Add garlic and chilli flakes. Fry for a few seconds to infuse the oil. Do not fry for too long or the garlic will burn.
- Add the onions, pepper and sliced chilli (save a few slices of chilli for garnish).
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir.
- Add the 5 spice and season with the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the spring onions, leftover chilli and coriander on top.
- Serve on its own or with noodles.