I invented this recipe once when I had all the ingredients for fajitas, yet no wraps. I actually prefer making a fajita into a salad now, it is healthier (high protein, low carb) and allows you to taste all the flavours better. To make this vegetarian you could swap the chicken for kidney beans or tofu.
Ingredients: (serves 2 full portions)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts (I used a pack of mini breast fillets), sliced into long pieces
- 1 pack of taco seasoning but I prefer to make my own:
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- A crumbed chicken stock cube
- Squeeze of tomato puree
- Squeeze of ketchup
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1 ripe avocado, you need to ensure that this is ripe- buy one that is soft when prodded
- 2 baby gem lettuce, chopped
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
To garnish: (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Spring onions, chopped
- Chilli flakes
- Fry the onion and garlic in some olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the pepper and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- Cook for a few minutes on a high heat, until the chicken pieces have gone white on the outside.
- Then pour a small amount of water in the pan, put a lid on and cook on medium- high heat, until the chicken pieces are cooked.
- To check, cut into the thickest piece of chicken and it should be white.
- Now to add flavour: add the taco seasoning, or the chilli powder, paprika, mixed herbs, cumin powder and stock cube. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the tomato purée with a little water and put inside the pan, with the ketchup. Also put in half of the lime juice, save the other half for the dressing.
- As it is a salad, you want the chicken mixture to be quite dry, so if it is too runny, then put the pan on high heat without a lid for a few minutes.
- To make the avocado dressing, mash the avocado into a bowl. You want to get a creamy texture, so I literally put half the avocado in my hand and squeeze out the flesh. Then I get a fork and mash it up further. Mix the avo with the yoghurt and the lime juice. Season.
- To serve, spread the lettuce and tomatoes onto two plates.
- Spoon on the fajita mixture.
- Drizzle over the avocado dressing.
- Top with coriander, lime wedges, spring onions, jalapenos and chilli flakes.