This is one of my favourite salads to eat, and is so easy to make. The peanut butter dressing seems like an unusual combination, but perfectly replicates a satay sauce. I based this recipe on a vietnamese salad I once tried- the coriander and lime makes the salad zingy and refreshing. You could also replace the chicken breast with any meat or fish; steak or salmon would also work well. The peanuts and chicken make this a great high protein, low carb recipe- so give it a go!
Ingredients: (Serves 1)
- Coconut oil
- 1 chicken breast
- A few handfuls of lettuce, chopped ( I prefer using baby gem lettuce rather than iceberg)
- Half a red onion, sliced
- 3 spring onions, cut into long pieces
- A handful of coriander
- Half a red chilli, sliced
- A handful of salted peanuts
For the satay dressing
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Large piece of ginger, grated (I prefer to chop this into pieces)
- Half tbsp of light soy sauce
- Half tbsp of fish sauce
- Half tbsp sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- Put the chicken breast on a chopping board. Cover with cling film or foil. Using a rolling pin or heavy object, bash the chicken until it is flatter. This will help to tenderise the chicken. Season the chicken breast.
- Heat up a small amount of coconut oil in a frying pan on a high heat. Add the chicken breast to the pan and fry for a few minutes on both sides. This seals the edges of the chicken, and will help to make the chicken moist.
- Then add a small amount of water to the pan and on a medium heat, place a lid on top. This will help to steam the inside of the chicken, to ensure that it is moist. Leave the pan like this, whilst you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Put the lettuce, onion, spring onions, coriander, chilli and peanuts into a bowl.
- Simply mix all the dressing ingredients together.
- Check on the chicken. Cut into the thickest part and see if the juices run clear and it is cooked. If not, then leave in the pan with the lid on, until cooked.
- When cooked, place on a chopping board and slice the chicken diagonally.
- Put the chicken on top of the salad and dress with the satay sauce.Enjoy!