A replica of one of my favourite dishes! I can be a bit tricky to get hold of squid but once you have it- this will not disappoint.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 4 pieces of squid- body only ( I got this from the fish counter at the supermarket)
- Oil, for deep frying
- Shichimi powder ( a japanese chilli seaweed powder, found in Watrose or amazon)
For the spicy vinegar:
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar mixed with 1 tsp boiling water
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- Start by making the vinegar. Mix all the ingredients together.
- To prepare the squid, wash it in cold water and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Open up the squid by cutting down the side. Take out any debris inside.
- Score it both sides (score twice diagonally in different directions).
- Then cut straight into long strips.
- Coat really well in the cornflour.
- Then heat the oil until very hot. You can test this by throwing in a bit of the cornflour, it should sizzle.
- Deep fry the squid for about 2 minutes until crispy.
- Take out onto a dish lined with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Top with the shichimi powder and salt.
- Serve with the spicy vinegar!!