Pad thai is one of my fave dishes- I adapted this recipe from when I cooked with a local in Thailand last year. Today I’ve made prawn pad thai with tofu, but you can also use chicken or just tofu if vegetarian.
⁃ 100g pad thai noodles- called rice noodles (soaked in warm water for 30 mins)
⁃ 50g raw prawns or chicken breast, cut
⁃ 50g tofu, cut
⁃ 1 or 2 eggs
⁃ 3 garlic cloves, chopped
⁃ 1 white onion, sliced
⁃ Pack of chives, cut
⁃ 50g beansprouts
⁃ 2 tbsp oil
⁃ Handful of salted peanuts
⁃ Lime wedges, to serve
For the sauce:
⁃ 1 tbsp sugar (palm sugar if possible)
⁃ 1 tbsp fish sauce
⁃ 1 tbsp soy sauce
⁃ 2 tbsp oyster sauce
⁃ 2 tbsp tamarind sauce (from ethnic sections of supermarket)
⁃ 1 tsp chilli powder
⁃ 1/4 cup water
⁃ Juice of 1 lime
1. Mix all the sauce ingredients together.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or pan and add the onion and garlic
3. Add the tofu and prawns/ chicken if using. Cook for a few minutes, stirring well.
4. Push everything to one side and crack the egg into the pan. Scramble it on the side for a few minutes to cook.
5. Then mix everything together. Add the noodles and sauce.
6. Add in the beansprouts and chives.
7. Season with the peanuts and lime wedges.