Why use a plate when you can use the egg box? This is such cool way to serve up a brunch and saves you washing up! I used the 6-egg cartons for this, and also cut one 12-egg carton in half, to look the same. I filled them with soft boiled eggs, avocado, crispy bacon and toast ‘soldiers’, but you can use whatever you want. I recommend using a small piece of greaseproof paper to line the bottom of the bottom of the egg carton holes, just for hygiene reasons.
Ingredients: (makes 2 egg boxes)
- 2 6-egg boxes (or a 12-egg box cut in half)- I think brown boxes look the best
- 4 eggs (I would recommend spending a little extra for this, as it makes a big difference in taste. I like the Clarence court eggs or the Sainsbury’s golden yolk eggs- both come in brown boxes, but don’t worry if you can’t find these)
- 8 rashes of streaky bacon (I got the lean streaky bacon from Waitrose)
- 1 avocado
- 2 pieces of wholewheat bread
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Baking parchment
- Pre heat the grill.
- Put a large pan of water on the boil and add the 4 eggs to this once boiling. Usually 5-6 minutes in the boiling water is best for soft runny yolks.
- Meanwhile, put the bacon on some foil or baking parchment and place in the grill, until crispy.
- Then, cut small squares of baking parchment and use it to line 4 of the egg holes.
- Put the 2 pieces of bread in the toaster. Once done spread with butter and cut into rectangles. Put these in the lid of the box.
- Fill 2 of the egg holes (lined with parchment) with avocado, scooped out with a spoon. Top this with the chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Fill the other 2 holes with the parchment, with crispy bacon.
- Fill the last 2 holes with the soft boiled egg.
- Serve with a spoon.