This is a recipe I made up based on my favourite middle eastern flavours. It may seem difficult to make, but each component is easy within itself. It is a good vegetarian low-carb recipe and you can change the vegetables or toppings to suit your taste.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 brown flatbread or pitta
- Olive oil
- 1 pot ready made hummus
- 1 aubergine, cut into circular discs
- 1 pack of halloumi (optional, if vegan)
- A handful of pomegranate
- Toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Some basil leaves, to decorate (optional)
For the saffron yoghurt:
- A pinch of saffron
- 2 heaped tbsp greek style yoghurt (or diary free yoghurt, if vegan)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
For the roasted veg salsa:
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red onion
- 1 big green chilli
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
For the parsley oil
- A handful of fresh parsley
- A good lug of olive oil
- Switch the grill on.
- For the saffron yoghurt, put the saffron into 2tbsp hot water and leave to sit until needed later.
- Put all of the salsa ingredients on some foil on a baking tray. Drizzle over olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Put the vegetables under the grill, until soft and chargrilled.
- Then put all the roasted vegetables in a blender and blend with some water until a salsa. Leave until needed later.
- Cover the aubergine with olive oil, both sides and grill on a griddle pan until soft. Then remove from the pan.
- Cut the halloumi into slices. Cover with olive oil then griddle in the same pan used for the aubergine.
- To make the parsley oil, just mash the parsley and oil together in a pestle and mortar (or a blender).
- Get the saffron water and add the yoghurt, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Season and mix well.
- Warm up the flatbread or pitta bread in the grill or griddle pan.
- Start by spreading over the hummus and salsa. Then add the aubergine slices, halloumi and drizzle over the parsley oil and saffron yoghurt.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate, pine nuts and basil leaves.