You know you can start thinking about Christmas when Starbucks and Costa bring out their red christmas cups. I love their festive drinks, especially the gingerbread latte coffee- but finding it to sweet to drink, I came up with a recipe to magically transform that same taste into a cupcake. These are simple to make but sound impressive and can be the perfect christmas treat or present.
Ingredients: (makes 12)
For the cake:
-140g light brown sugar
-140g soft butter
-140g self raising flour
-1 tbsp ginger powder
-2 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp hot water
For the icing:
-150g icing sugar, sifted
-80g soft butter
-1 tsp instant coffee mixed with 2 tsp hot water
-1.5 tsp ginger powder
-2 tbsp milk
-Decorations, such as chocolate coffee beans
1)Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius. Put cupcake cases into a 12-hole muffin tin.
2) Beat together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk.
3) Add the eggs, one at a time and beat into the mixture.
4) Now add the flour, coffee and ginger powder. Mix together.
5) Spoon the cake mixture into the cupcake cases.
6) Bake in the oven for 17 minutes until cooked. Put on a wire rack to cool once done.
7) Now make the icing. Beat together the icing sugar and butter.
8) Add the coffee, ginger and milk, and mix together.
9) Pipe or spread the icing onto the cupcakes.
10) Decorate with chocolate coffee beans and anything else.