Ingredients (serves 2):
– 1 sweet potato (the sweet potato I had was large, but if yours are small, use 2)
– 2 tbsp of corn flour or plain flour
– 2 eggs, beaten (if vegan, use soy milk instead)
– Cooked bacon, to serve (optional)
– 2 poached or fried eggs, to serve (optional)
1) Peel the sweet potato.
2) Grate the sweet potato, on the large side of a grater.
3) Squeeze out any water coming from the sweet potato, or your hash browns will be soggy. Throw this liquid away.
4) Mix the egg into the sweet potato.
5) Then mix in the cornflour or flour.
6) Add salt and pepper. Mix altogether and shape into flat discs.
7) Heat a large frying pan with about 2 tablespoons of oil on medium heat.
8) Put the sweet potato hash browns down to cook on one side, in batches (depending on how big your pan is). Leave for about 4-5 minutes until crispy.
9) Flip the hash brown over and leave on this side for about 4-5 minutes also.
10) Once cooked, place on a kitchen towel to drain any oil off. Add more sea salt on top of the hash browns.
11) Every time that you make a new batch, add a little bit more oil to the pan, or your hash browns may burn.
12) Serve with the bacon and egg.