I have fond memories of this cake from primary school- a soft vanilla sponge with icing and served with lashings of custard. Very straightforward to make but will make you feel very nostalgic!
Ingredients: (makes one tray)
- 300g butter (at room temperature)
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 eggs (whisked together)
- 100ml milk (semi skimmed or full fat milk)
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence (or paste- I use a bit of both)
- 300g self raising flour
- 400g icing sugar
- 8 tbsp milk (semi skimmed or full fat)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coloured sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Line a rectangular tray with grease proof paper and some butter / oil.
3. Start by creaming together the butter and sugar until soft.
4. Then add in the eggs, little by little until all mixed together.
5. Then add in the milk and vanilla and mix.
6. Finally add the flour to make a cake batter. You will need to add this in little by little again to ensure it is well incorporated.
7. Put the cake batter in the tray and bake for 25 minutes.
8. Check it is cooked by using a cocktail stick- it should come out of the cake clean and dry. If it is still wet then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until cooked.
9. Make the icing by mixing together the icing sugar, milk and vanilla until you get a thick white paste. WAIT until the cake has completely cooled before putting it on top. Then spread over the icing and add the sprinkles!
Serve with custard and enjoy x