Panda Express orange chicken!! This is a dish inspired by the Chinese takeaway chain Panda Express in America. It might sound weird but the orange adds a nice sweet finish to the chicken. I have shallow fried this to make it healthier but you can always deep fry it too. If you are vegetarian you can always use tofu.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 200g cornflour
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- Salt and white (or black) pepper
- 8 chicken thighs (boneless and skinless), chopped into bitesize pieces
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- Small piece of ginger (grated)
- 2 chillies (chopped)
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds (for garnish)
- A few spring onions, chopped (for garnish)
For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp orange juice (I just used carton smooth orange juice)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chilli oil (optional)
- 3 tsp cornflour
1. Start by mixing the plain flour and corn flour. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg then in the flour mix.
4. In a pan, heat up some oil to line the pan. On high heat, fry the chicken in batches until crispy on all sides and cooked through.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan and wash the pan.
6. Mix all the sauce ingredients (except the cornflour) in a bowl.
7. Add a few tsp sesame oil/ oil to the pan and add the garlic, ginger and chilli.
8. Then add the mixed sauce.
9. Mix together the cornflour with a few tsp of water. Add this to the sauce in the pan.
10. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes to reduce and become sticky.
11. Then add back in the chicken. Top with sesame seeds and spring onions. Enjoy!