Sushiiiii- so on trend at the moment, but can often be so expensive!! Here is a super quick way in which you can make sushi at home. I have made one veggie avocado & cucumber roll, one salmon & cucumber roll and one tempura prawn & avocado California roll. You do need a few special ingredients to make this, but I got all of my ingredients from Tesco/ Waitrose, so they are readily available. You can use whatever fillings that you want, I have added spicy sriracha mayo to all of mine as it gives it such a nice flavour.
- Sushi mat
- Nori seaweed sheets
- Sushi rice (about 300g)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
For the filling:
- Sriracha mayo (Tesco)
- Cucumber (Cut in half longways, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut into long strips)
- Avocado (remove the stone and slice)
- Smoked salmon (you can use fresh sushi salmon if you can source this- but it has to be especially for sushi, you shouldn’t use the supermarket one as you don’t know how fresh it is, and you’re eating it raw)
- Tempura prawns (I just got from the frozen section of Tesco and cooked in the oven)
- Black/ white sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger (Waitrose)
- Wasabi (Tesco)
- Soy sauce
- Firstly start by making the sushi rice. Cook it according to packet instructions. Add 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, then put in the fridge to cool it more quickly.
- Next cover your roll mat with cling film on both sides. This will stop the sushi rice from sticking.
- To make the veggie and salmon rolls, place a nori sheet over the cling filmed mat. There are 2 sides to the sheet- a rough and smooth one. Place the smooth side down, to look better and also to allow the rough side to stick to the rice.
- Cover the sheet with rice, until about 3 grains deep. You should still see some of the nori sheet poking out from underneath.
- Add the sriracha mayo and your toppings in a line, to the side nearest to you. Do not overfill.
- Then roll the sushi. Take the mat and roll over and press. Repeat this until the whole sushi is rolled.
- I then put the whole roll in cling film and put in the fridge whilst you make the others, to hold its shape.
- For the tempura prawn one (California type) /rice on the outside: instead of putting the nori first, put the rice first on the mat then the nori on top. Add the sriracha mayo and fill it, then roll in the same way. I cover the outside with black and white sesame seeds too.
- Once out the fridge, remove the cling film and cut into slices carefully with a sharp knife.
- Serve with the pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.