One of my fave cocktails is a piña colada- so I thought that I would make it into a cupcake!! To bring a little Caribbean sunshine into this British summer, enjoy! x
Ingredients: (makes 12)
For the pineapple and coconut sponge:
- 40g salted butter (If using unsalted, add a pinch of salt to the flour)
- 120g white sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- 120ml coconut milk ( I used Alpro coconut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Tin of pineapple rings, cut into pieces
- 12 muffin cases
For the coconut frosting:
- 150g icing sugar
- 80g butter
- 40g shredded/ desiccated coconut (you can use fresh shredded coconut too)
- 25ml coconut milk
- A few drops of coconut extract (optional)
For the piña colada pipette (optional):
- 1 shot Malibu rum
- 1 shot coconut milk
- 2 shots pineapple juice (I used the juice remaining from the tinned pineapple)
- Mini pipettes- I got them from amazon
- Shredded/ desiccated coconut
- Coconut chips- I used urban fruit coconut chips, from Waitrose
- Fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C/ Gas mark 3.
- Cream the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder together using an electric whisk. It should turn into a sandy like mixture.
- Add in the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add in the egg and mix again, scraping the sides.
- Line some muffin cases in a 12 hole tray.
- Divide the chopped tinned pineapple between the paper cases. I did 2 pieces per cupcake. Don’t add more than this or the cupcake will turn out too wet, especially if using the pipette.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the pineapple.
- Bake for 20-25 mins. Use a skewer to check if cooked- it should come out clean. Leave to cool.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter, icing sugar and desiccated coconut, until well combined.
- Add in the coconut milk and coconut extract, if using. Beat on high speed for 5-10 minutes to get a fluffy icing.
- Make the piña colada by shaking all the ingredients together in a cocktail shaker.
- Prepare the pipettes by drawing up liquid in them.
- Put the icing on the cupcakes once cooled. Add a pineapple piece, the shredded coconut, coconut flakes and the pipette.
Don’t forget to tell the eaters to press the pipette into the cupcake before eating x