I recently tried this dish at the Japanese restaurant Wagamama and was amazed by how flavoursome it was. The cauliflower is a perfect alternative to meat, even for meat eaters and the sauce to this is just divine.
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 red onion
- 6 garlic cloves, shredded
- 1 inch ginger shredded
- A few spring onions, shredded
- A handful of coriander, chopped
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (dark if possible)
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce (called Kecap Manis but if you cannot find it just use normal soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A few dashes of white pepper (or black if you don’t have)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar or agave nectar
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Make the sauce by mixing together all the sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the cauliflower in the sauce and leave for 15 minutes at least (longer if possible) to marinate.
- Lay onto a flat tray. Keep the remaining sauce in the bowl.
- Cook on grill until soft and sticky- about 10- 20 minutes depending on how big your pieces are.
- In a wok, add around 2 tbsp oil. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and spring onions. Cook for a few minutes until soft. Add in the coriander.
- In a separate pan, add the rest of the sauce from the cauliflower. Cook to reduce the sauce down until it is sticky.
- Mix the cooked cauliflower with the veg mix and added sauce.