So delicious!! A great low carb, high protein option to tacos. I made one batch with soy veggie mince and one batch with lamb mince- but you can use whatever you want.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 1 white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 5 peppers (4 for the filled peppers and 1 pepper, finely chopped for the sauce)
- 400g Mince (can use lamb, beef or soya)
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin black beans (in the mexican section of supermarkets)
- 1 bottle of mexican salsa
- Grated cheddar cheese (can replace with dairy free cheese if vegan)
- Grated red leicester cheese
- Jalapenos (to top)
- Start by making the mince mixture.
- In a pan add the onion and garlic cloves. Mix for a few minutes until soft.
- Add in the chopped pepper and spices. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the mince. If using meat, let this brown until there is no pink. If using frozen soya mince, cook until defrosted.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 2 stock cubes, ketchup and sugar. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and black beans. Cook further for 5 minutes. Leave to stand.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees c.
- Cut the peppers in half.
- In a tray, spread the salsa on the bottom. Add the pepper halves and fill them with the mince mixture.
- Add grated cheddar and red leicester. Top with jalapenos.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the peppers are soft.
- Top with coriander and jalepenos.
Serve with guacamole, pico de gallo (made from mixing tomatoes, onion and coriander) and soured cream.