Recently, I have found these traybake dishes to be so useful- they are very tasty and so simple, perfect for meal prep, dinner parties or just a mid week meal.
I ate this with a traditional Greek salad- recipe can be found here, and tzatziki dip- a greek cucumber, mint and yoghurt dip (recipe below).
Ingredients: (serves 4)
For the meatballs:
- 400g lamb mince- I usually use low fat mince, you can also use soya mince if veggie
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- A handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- A handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the rest of the tray bake:
- 2 large or 4 small potatoes, sliced
- 1 large courgette, sliced into rounds
- 1 large handful kalamata olives (these are greek olives- they are a bit more expensive, however, taste a lot more authentic)
- Some mint and parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
Tzatziki (if making):
- 150g full fat greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cucumber, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Small handful of mint, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F/ gas mark 6.
- To make the meatballs, fry the onion and garlic in some olive oil for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- In a large bowl, add the lamb mince, cooked onion and garlic, egg, mint and parsley, oregano, olive oil and seasoning.
- Mix well, until all incorporated- with your hands, therefore I usually wear medical gloves for this as I find that I can mix it better.
- Drizzle some olive oil over a large roasting tray.
- Roll the mince meat into about 20 balls and place onto the tray.
- Add the potato and courgette slices in and around the meatballs.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, some more dried oregano and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook for about 35- 40 minutes in the oven, until the potatoes are cooked through. Turn the meatballs and vegetables about halfway through cooking.
- Once done, add the kalamata olives, feta and herbs.
- If making the tzatziki, mix all the ingredients in a bowl together and drizzle with olive oil.