Pizza is one of my favourite things to eat, so I’m always trying to find healthier alternatives for it. So far my favourite is tortilla pizzas, but I thought that I would try using roasted aubergine as the base this time. It was super quick to make and is perfect for a starter, or to give to kids!
Ingredients: (makes 16 small slices)
- 2 small aubergines (each one cut into 8 discs)
- A pinch of mixed herbs
- A pinch of garlic granules (optional)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree, mixed with a little water
- 1 ball of mozzarella, cut into thin slices
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Lay the aubergine slices on a baking tray lined with foil.
- Drizzle a few tsp of olive oil over the aubergine and rub into both sides, to stop it from sticking.
- Sprinkle over some mixed herbs, garlic granules (if using), salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, until soft. Turn the slices over half way.
- Once soft, spread the tomato paste over each disc as if spreading over a pizza base.
- Top this with the mozzarella.
- Return the tray to the oven for another few minutes, until the mozzarella has melted.