A healthy, quick and cheap meal, packed with veggies, perfect for the summer or to meal prep for work. You can add whatever you want to these ‘bowls’ and they are a good way to use up leftovers. I have used 2 types of beans, as a great source of protein for vegans- Black beans and refried beans but you can also use other protein like meat, if you are non- veg.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2 packs of Mexican rice (To make this recipe quicker, I used Uncle Ben’s microwave Mexican rice)
- 2 tortillas, each cut into 8 wedges (use scissors to make this easier)
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped (4 cloves for each of the beans)
- 1 tin of black beans (I used Old El Paso found in the Mexican section of supermarkets)
- 1 tin of refried beans (again Old El Paso found in the Mexican section of supermarkets)
- Vegetables (I used sweetcorn fresh from the cob, lettuce, spring onions, red onion, tomatoes and avocado), all chopped up
- Sour cream or dairy free yoghurt for vegans
- Cheese (if non- vegan)
- Salsa, optional
- Lime wedges, to garnish
For the guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- A handful of tomatoes, finely chopped
- A handful of red onion, finely chopped
- A few pinches of granulated garlic (really enhances the taste), optional
- Garlic salt (optional) to season
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4.
- To make the tortilla chips, lay the wedges onto a foiled baking tray and season with sea salt.
- Bake in the hot oven for about 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them from 5 minutes as they are thin so can easily burn. Once crispy, take them out of the oven to cool.
- To make the beans, simply heat up a little butter in a frying pan and add 4 chopped up garlic cloves. Cook for a few seconds. Then add the black beans and stir to heat up. Season.
- Repeat with the refried beans.
- To make the guacamole, use a pestle and mortar, if you have one. If not just mash with a fork in a large bowl. Put in a little olive oil and add the 2 garlic cloves. Mash up.
- Then add both avocados and mash.
- Stir in the tomatoes and red onions and season with garlic granules, garlic salt and pepper.
- Cook the rice in the microwave and cook the sweetcorn on the cob in the microwave (if using), then cut it off the core.
- Ensemble all the ingredients. I start off by putting rice at the bottom, then laying all the vegetables and beans on top. Decorate with the tortilla chips and lime wedges.