Jammie Dodgers- one of my childhood memories of party food (’90s baby). This works so well in a cupcake form. I used a basic vanilla cupcake recipe adapted from Hummingbird bakery but added a surprise raspberry jam in the middle of the cupcake and topped it with a vanilla frosting and strawberry syrup.
Ingredients: (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 120g plain flour
- 135g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 40g butter, soft
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 cupcake cases
- Raspberry or Strawberry jam (I prefer raspberry)
For the vanilla icing:
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g butter, soft
- 25ml milk
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- To top
- Mini Jammie Dodgers/ regular ones (depending how many you want to put on each one)
- Strawberry syrup- you can find this in the ice cream cone section in supermarkets (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius/ 338 F/ Gas mark 3.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter with an electric whisk until a grain like consistency.
- Then gradually pour in half the milk and continue to whisk.
- Mix the rest of the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in another bowl.
- Slowly pour this into the dry mix and whisk together. Continue this for a few minutes until a smooth mixture.
- Line a 12 hole baking tray with cupcake cases.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases. I usually use a ice cream scoop for this, for consistency.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Then once cooked, remove from the oven. With a skewer, insert into the cake- it should come out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make the icing. Beat the icing sugar and butter together with an electric hand or freestanding whisk until well combined.
- Separately, mix together the milk and vanilla extract.
- Then add this mixture slowly into the sugar and butter, whisking as you go.
- Continue beating this on a high speed for about 5 minutes. The longer you whisk it, the fluffier it will become.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled. Get a small rounded object such as the top of a piping bag or wine bottle top and scoop out the centre of each cupcake.
- Fill this hole with the jam.
- Put the icing in a piping bag and pipe on top of the cupcakes. If you do not have a piping bag, then put the icing into a ziplock bag and cut the end off/ you can just spread it on with a knife.
- Add the Jammie Dodger on top of the cupcake and squirt some of the strawberry syrup on top.Enjoy!