This is the recipe to one of my favourite breakfasts- 4 ingredient pancakes, flavoured with cinnamon and banana & topped with maple syrup and berries. Gluten free, sugar free and guilt free. I absolutely LOVE pancakes, and wanted to come up with a recipe that was healthy, super quick and easy but also tasted flipping good. I came across the concept of adding oats to the pancakes, which works perfectly as it contains complex carbohydrates so leaves you full for longer. I wanted to also find a healthier alternative to maple syrup and found a maple flavoured agave syrup (link is below)- this is absolutely amazing, it is cheaper than maple syrup (I got mine for £2 from ASDA), tastes exactly like it and (is still not good for you) but is a healthier alternative, as it has a lower glycemic index and is sweeter so you need less of it. Some other topping ideas I like to add to the pancakes are raspberry coulis, coconut flakes and crispy bacon.
Ingredients: (makes 8 small pancakes- for 1 person in my case)
- 1 banana, can be ripe or brown
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 handful of oats
- A few pinches of cinnamon
- Maple flavoured agave syrup
- Put the banana in a bowl and mash it with a fork.
- Add the whisked egg to the banana and stir.
- Add the oats and cinnamon to this. Mix everything well and add a pinch of salt.
- Spray or add a little oil to a flat frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the pancake mix in round dollops to the pan. The oats make it hard to form a perfectly round shape, so don’t worry if yours are a bit irregular.
- After a few minutes flip the pancakes and cook on the other side.
- Serve with the berries and agave maple syrup, or any other toppings.