This is an Italian- American dish of crispy breaded chicken topped with a tomato sauce and oozing melted mozerella. Heaven. It reminds me of a child’s meal, especially as I eat it with a large pile of plain spaghetti. But oh well. Traditionally, this recipe is made by baking the breaded chicken in the oven with the sauce, but I find that this makes it all a bit soggy as well as it taking quadruple the time. This is super quick to make on weekdays and you can make it even quicker by buying ready breaded chicken breast and then just chucking on the tomato sauce and cheese. It is a bit like a pizza no? You can add toppings above the tomato sauce if you wanted or if you are veggie, then just replace the chicken with grilled aubergines.
Ingredients: (makes 1)
- 1 chicken breast
- A few tbsps of plain flour mixed with 1 tbsp corn flour (optional), seasoned
- 1 egg, beaten
- A few tbsp breadcrumbs (panko breadcrumbs are the best if you can find them)
- A pinch of paprika
- Parmesan, grated
- Oil, for frying
- Tomato sauce (you can make your own, or just buy passata/ a tomato pasta sauce)
- A few slices of mozerella
- A few basil leaves, torn
- Switch on the grill for later.
- Get your chicken breast, and using a sharp knife ‘butterfly’ the chicken. Cut along the length of the chicken breast (but not all the way to the other edge). Then open up the breast so now it is double the surface area. Put the opened up chicken breast on a chopping board and cover with some baking parchment (foil or cling film if you do not have that).
- The roll over the breast with a rolling pin (about the thickness of a £1 coin). If you don’t have a rolling pin then just get a heavy object like a bottle and bash the chicken.
- Coat the chicken breast in the seasoned flour.
- Then dip it in the egg.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, paprika and parmesan. Season.Then coat with the breadcrumbs. Pat the chicken so it is coated well.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken for about 2-3 minutes. Then add a few knobs of butter to the pan (optional) and flip the chicken. This will make the breadcrumbs golden.
- Cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes until golden and cooked.
- Then put on a baking tray. Spoon over the tomato sauce and top with the mozerella slices.
- Put this under the grill, until the cheese is bubbling.
- Season with salt and pepper and spinkle with the basil leaves & extra parmesan, if you want.
Serve with spaghetti seasoned with salt, pepper and olive oil.