For me, there’s nothing worse than a piece of plain toast. Here, are three of my favourite things to put on toast, elevating it to that next level breakfast. I always prefer to buy wholemeal seeded bread as it is so much healthier than white, but also adds a nutty wholesome flavour. If you are a white bread lover, I would suggest trying the 50/50 white to wholemeal such as this , as a step towards brown bread.
- 3 pieces of brown seeded bread
For the avocado toast:
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 a lime, juiced
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 egg
For the berry toast:
- A few berries, I used blueberries and raspberries (I think that those two work best with the peanut butter)
- A few tsp of peanut butter (I prefer to use smooth)
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of oats (I used regular porridge oats)
For the smoked salmon toast:
- A few tsp low fat philadelphia/ cream cheese
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- Lightly toast all the bread.
- Mix the avocado and lime, season. Spoon on top of one piece of toast.
- To make the fried egg. Put a little oil in a frying pan, and heat up the pan. Crack the egg into the oil, being careful not to pop the yolk. I then fry the egg on a medium heat on this side for a few minutes. I do not like flipping the egg as it ruins the yolk, so I get a lid and put this on the pan for another minute or so, until you can tell the egg white around the top, is cooked. Put the egg on the avocado and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
- To make the berry toast, spread the peanut butter onto a piece of toast. Add the berries and oats. Dust with cinnamon.
- For the smoked salmon toast. Spread the cream cheese onto a piece of toast. Add the smoked salmon and season.