‘Nash Dengaku’ is a Japanese dish of a soft miso glazed aubergine. Adding the miso and honey gives a perfect sweet and salty flavour to this low-carb meal.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 aubergines (I used half per person)
- 1 tbsp miso paste (I used 2 packets of itsu miso soup paste, but you can also use regular miso paste, found in most big supermarkets)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chilli garlic paste (I used the Chinese brand Lee Kum Kee- leave it out if you can’t find this)
- Handful of sesame seeds, to garnish
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 red chilli, sliced, to garnish
- Handful of coriander, to garnish (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4. Line a flat baking tray with baking parchment.
- Cut both aubergines in half and place on the tray.
- To get the maximum flavour, you need to score the aubergine. Using a sharp knife, cut along the aubergine diagonally, one way first, then the other way. Be careful to not cut all the way through.
- In a bowl, mix together the miso paste, honey, soy sauce, chilli garlic paste and sesame oil.
- Spread the marinade on the aubergines.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until soft.
- Take out of the oven and transfer them to a plate. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds, spring onions, chilli and coriander.