‘Khao need mamuang’ is a thai desert of creamy coconut rice, served with fresh mangos. Traditionally, this recipe uses thai sticky rice, but recently I came across Tilda microwavable coconut rice. Using this rice makes this dessert so much quicker to make, but still achieving the same taste. If you have never tried this dish before, the combination may seem strange but it is a quick, easy and healthy sweet dessert to make, so is worth a try.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2 packs of Tilda microwave coconut rice
- 1 can of tinned coconut milk
- 3 tbsp sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 ripe mangoes
- A handful of desiccated coconut, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Heat the packets of rice in the microwave, according to the pack instructions.
- Empty the rice into a pan on medium to high heat. Keep adding the coconut milk in small amounts whilst stirring.
- Take off the heat until the rice has a creamy but loose texture.
- Stir in the sugar. I do not like the rice to be too sweet, so add more sugar if need be.
- Peel the mangoes. I find the best way to do this is with a vegetable peeler.
- Chop the mango into cubes.
- Using a food ring, place some rice onto each plate. If you do not have a food ring, use a small bowl and pack the rice into the bowl. Then turn the bowl upside-down on the plate.
- Place the chopped mango on top of the rice. I ended up with extra mango, which I just served separately.
- Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut. Serve with the lime.