Pad Kra Pao neu-a wua
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the stir fry:
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 chillies (green or red), finely chopped
- 1 dried chilli, chopped (optional)
- A small piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 pack of beef, cut into small strips (if you do not eat beef, then you can easily substitute this for prawns, chicken or pork)
- 1 green pepper, cut into squared pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into squared pieces
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- Any other vegetables, I used choi sum as well (like pak choi)
- 1 handful of Thai basil (if you cannot find this then just use regular Italian basil)
- A few tsp corn flour
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
- Heat 1-2tbsp vegetable or peanut oil into a wok or wide based pan on medium heat, until heated.
- Add the garlic, chillies, dried chilli and ginger into the wok for about half a minute, stirring continuously.
- Then add the beef to the wok. Constantly stir for about 2-3 minutes. If you are using chicken or pork you will need to cook the meat for longer than this.
- Add the sauce to the wok.
- Add the pepper, onion, spring onions and choi sum (if using) to the wok and cook altogether until the vegetables are cooked. (To cook the vegetables faster, I added a bit of water to the wok and put a lid on it for a few minutes on medium heat).
- At the last minute add a handful of the basil and stir through. If the sauce is not thick enough, then take out a bit of the sauce into a cup and mix well with a few tsp of corn flour. Then return this sauce into the pan and place on high heat for a few minutes.Serve with rice or noodles, or by itself as a low- carb option.