I love the McDonalds fillet o fish, but decided to make a homemade version to enhance the flavours and make it healthier- I’m so happy with how it turned out!!
Ingredients: (Makes 4 burgers)
⁃ 4 large pieces of firm fresh white fish- cod, haddock or basa would work best
⁃ 4 brioche buns
⁃ Iceberg lettuce, shredded thinly
⁃ 1/2 white onion, cut thinly into slices
⁃ 4 slices of American cheese slices
For the fish:
⁃ 1 egg
⁃ 1 tbsp mayonnaise
⁃ 1 tbsp plain flour
⁃ 1 tsp mustard
⁃ Salt and pepper
⁃ Golden breadcrumbs/ panko breadcrumbs (I found that the golden Paxo breadcrumbs from the supermarket worked really well)
⁃ Salt and pepper
For the tartar sauce:
⁃ 4 tbsp mayo
⁃ 1 tbsp juice from the Gerkin jar/ pickle juice
⁃ 4 whole gherkins, finely chopped
⁃ 1 tbsp lemon juice
⁃ 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
⁃ 1 small bunch of dill
⁃ 1 small bunch of parsley
⁃ Pinch of sugar
⁃ Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C. Add in your chips now if having them.
2. Start by preparing your fish. Cut the fish into 4 pieces to fit each burger, if not already cut. Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
3. Dip the fish into the first bowl of the egg mayo mix until completely drenched, then into the breadcrumbs. Ensure all the fish is coated in the breadcrumbs.
4. Place onto a baking tray which has been lined with baking paper and sprayed with oil.
5. Bake for 13-15 minutes, turning over the fish halfway through cooking.
6. Make the tartar sauce by mixing all of the ingredients for it together.
7. Cut the brioche buns in half, if not already cut in half. Place them on individual pieces of foil. You can toast them if you wish, in a pan, but I found a new trick of putting the whole burger in foil, back into the oven, so the bun becomes warm this way.
8. Spread the bun with tartar sauce on one side and ketchup on the other, if you wish.
9. Layer your burger. I did tartar sauce, cheese slice, fish, lettuce and onion.
10. Wrap up the foil and place back into the oven for 5 minutes- this is honestly such a game changer!! The burger just becomes so soft and the cheese melts perfectly.
11. Serve with well salted French fries.
One thought on “Fillet-O-Fish Fakeaway”
Loved it. Thank you.
Perfect with the salted skinny fries!
LikeLiked by 1 person