I love the Chinese takeaway sweet and sour prawns, so I have made a healthier home cooked recipe with no deep frying, colouring or sugar!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
⁃ 1 tbsp sesame oil
⁃ 3 garlic cloves, sliced
⁃ 2 white onions, chopped into large pieces
⁃ 3 peppers (I used 2 red and one green), chopped into large pieces
⁃ 250g pineapple chunks (I used 1 tin and kept the juice for the sauce)
⁃ 300-450g cooked king prawns (I added 450g as wanted more protein in this dish)
⁃ 2 tbsp cornflour mixed with a little water and mixed
⁃ 3 spring onions, sliced
⁃ Sesame seeds, to garnish
For the sauce:
⁃ 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
⁃ 3 tbsp ketchup
⁃ 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
⁃ 2 tbsp honey
⁃ 1 tbsp chilli oil
⁃ 2 tbsp pineapple juice (I used the juice from the can of tinned pineapple)
1. In a wok, heat the sesame oil and add in the garlic and onions. Cook for a few minutes on high heat, stirring well.
2. Add in the peppers and cook for a few more minutes until starting to get soft.
3. Then add in the prawns and pineapple chunks. Stir to combine.
4. Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a jug or bowl and mix well.
5. Pour the sauce into the wok and coat the prawns and vegetables.
6. Once mixed well, add in the cornflour and water mixture to thicken the sauce. Cook for a further few minutes, stirring well until the sauce is thickened.
7. Top with sesame seeds and spring onion.
Serve with egg fried rice (recipe also on website).