Decided to recreate Nobu’s (the Japanese restaurant) miso black cod. Soft, sweet and flakey. Black cod is hard to source and expensive so normal cod will do. Nobu restaurant leaves the cod marinading for 3 days!!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
⁃ 4 pieces of cod (black cod if you can find it)
⁃ 3 tbsp sake (Japanese alcohol)
⁃ 3 tbsp mirin
⁃ 4 tbsp white miso paste
⁃ 3 tbsp sugar
1. Place the sake and mirin in a sauce pan and cook for around 30 seconds. This is to burn off some of the alcohol.
2. Add the miso paste and sugar. Mix until all dissolved. Leave to cool.
3. Once cooled, add the cod to this. Leave for as long as possible- I just left it for a few hours in the fridge, but you can do longer if possible.
4. Switch on the grill and when hot, cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Don’t waste the extra marinade- Place the remaining sauce in a pan or microwave to heat up, then drizzle on fish when serving.