A lot of the healthy coconut cake recipes I come across, require you to have coconut flour, coconut sugar, this and that, but realistically it is difficult to buy/ expensive/ I wouldn’t use it very often. Therefore, this Is a recipe for a coconut ‘BrAke’ (bread x cake), which can be a delicious weekend breakfast/ brunch or afternoon treat- but not overdoing it either. I used a donut tin, for a change, but you can use a regular loaf tin.
- 310g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 200g caster sugar
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs
- 300ml of milk
- 5 tbsp vanilla essence
- 75g unsalted butter, melted
- Oil spray ( I used coconut frylight spray)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees c/ gas mark 4.
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and coconut. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla, until combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and add the eggs, milk and vanilla mix.
- Mix until combined.
- Add in the melted butter and stir, until well combined. The mixture will be quite sticky- like a sticky porridge, but this is what it should be like.
- Use oil spray/ butter to line the tin. Do this generously, so you can get it out of the tin easily, once baked.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- To check if cooked, insert a skewer into the cake, it should come out clean.
- Dust with icing sugar. Serve when still hot with butter/ nut butter.