Hello veganuary! With many people trying veganuary I thought it was the perfect time to share some vegan recipes. Whilst I am not a vegan myself, it is useful to always try to cut down the amount of meat we eat, for health reasons or even just for a change. I chose a tofu recipe as often I actually choose it over meat as I genuinely think it can taste nicer (if cooked properly). For the vegetarian ‘oyster’ sauce, you can buy this online and it is made from mushrooms as an alternative. If you eat meat you could always substitute the tofu for meat and special fried rice is typically combined with scrambled egg so you could do this too.
If you are vegan/ vegetarian, I have now made a new vegan subsection of my blog (look at the drop down menu list) so have a look there if you need some inspiration!
For the stir fry:
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- 1 white onion, chopped into large pieces
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 2 peppers (one red, one green)
- Tofu (I strongly recommend getting the tofoo extra firm one), cubed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (vegetarian) oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- Handful of cashew nuts
- Pack of thai basil (I would recommend trying to find this. If you cannot get hold of it then use regular basil)
- A few spring onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
For the fried ‘rice’
- 1 pack cauli rice (I got mine from Tesco)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 handfuls of frozen mixed veg (I like the one with broccoli, peas, red pepper, carrots and sweetcorn)
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- Spring onions (for garnish)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- In a pan heat a bit of oil (I used half olive oil and half sesame oil).
- Add the garlic and chilli.
- Then add the onion and courgette and fry on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and a little water.
- Stir fry for a few minutes until the onion and courgette are cooked.
- Add the tofu to the pan.
- Add the cashew nuts and thai basil.
- Fry for an extra minute or so.
- Sprinkle with the spring onions and sesame seeds.
- To make the rice, heat the sesame oil in the pan.
- Add the garlic and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the frozen veg and fry for a few seconds.
- Cook the cauli rice in the microwave according to packet instructions then add to the pan. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add the soy sauce.
- Drizzle with the sesame oil and garnish with the spring onion and sesame seeds.
Good luck all you veganutarians x