These cute little cupcakes are perfect for birthdays and celebrations- I went with a pink colour scheme, but you can change the colours depending on what the occasion is. I used the same vanilla cupcake recipe as these- so you could always make half half of each type of cupcake if you wanted.
Ingredients: (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 120g plain flour
- 135g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 40g butter, soft
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 cupcake cases
For the vanilla icing:
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g butter, soft
- 25ml milk
- 4 drops of vanilla extract
- Small drop of pink food colouring (optional)
- A variety of pick n mix or packet sweets to top
- Edible glitter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius/ 338 F/ Gas mark 3 .
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter with an electric whisk until a grain like consistency.
- Then gradually pour in half the milk and continue to whisk.
- Mix the rest of the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in another bowl.
- Slowly pour this into the dry mix and whisk together. Continue this for a few minutes until a smooth mixture.
- Line a 12 hole baking tray with cupcake cases.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases. I usually use a ice cream scoop for this, for consistency.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Then once cooked, remove from the oven. With a skewer, insert into the cake- it should come out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make the icing. Beat the icing sugar and butter together with an electric hand or freestanding whisk until well combined.
- Separately, mix together the milk and vanilla extract.
- Then add this mixture slowly into the sugar and butter, whisking as you go. Add the drop of pink food colouring (if using). You can always add more if the colour is too light, once whisked.
- Continue beating this on a high speed for about 5 minutes. The longer you whisk it, the fluffier it will become.
- Once the cupcakes are dry, pipe the icing on top of them. If you do not have a piping bag, then put the icing into a ziplock bag and cut the end off/ you can just spread it on with a knife.
- Add the sweeties and glitter (if using) on top & enjoy!