Recently, this has been one of my favourite desserts. Healthy, yet summery and tastes peachy and delicious. Amaretti comes from the Italian word ‘amaretto’ meaning almond, due to the sweet almondy taste of the biscuits. This works perfectly with the nutty topping over the peaches. You can find these biscuits in most big supermarkets in either the international section or biscuit section. Disaronno is an amaretto flavoured liquor, enhancing the flavour of the peaches.
Variations: This recipe has lots of variations; you can add some other liquor such as dark rum to the pan for a deeper flavour. When you add the butter, you can also add rosemary, thyme, lavender or vanilla pod seeds to to the pan for an alternate flavour. This recipe is also perfect for the BBQ. Simply BBQ the peaches until soft and charred, then put on a plate and add the butter and honey. You can also turn this dessert into a breakfast or brunch by replacing the biscuits for granola and eating it with Greek style yoghurt.
- Peaches (must be ripe and soft), I usually use 1 peach per person
- Knobs of butter
- Amaretto liquor like disaronno (optional)
- Honey, to drizzle (if vegan, you can use sugar or agave syrup)
- A handful of pecans or walnuts, crushed
- A few amaretti biscuits, crushed
- Clotted cream/ ice cream/ yoghurt to serve (or vegan alternative)
- Cut the peaches in half and remove their stones. Then slice the peaches in to smaller wedges.
- Heat a pan up until very hot. I used a griddle pan, but these also taste great in a normal frying pan.
- Add the peaches to the pan and fry for about 2 minutes. Move them around a little so that they do not stick, but not too much. They should be browning on the bottom.
- Then add knobs of butter to the pan and let it melt and mix with the peachy juice.
- Then turn the peaches over and fry for a few more minutes, to make them soft. Spoon over the buttery sauce on top as they cook. At this point, if using, drizzle some disaronno over the peaches.
- Add a drizzle of honey and cook for a further minute.
- Take the peaches out and divide into bowls.
- Spoon the nuts over the peaches.
- Crush the amaretti biscuits and sprinkle over the peaches.
- Drizzle with a bit more honey and top with clotted cream/ ice cream/ yoghurt.