I like a carbonara but usually stay away from it, due to the amount of cream added, making it quite fattening. I then thought about what vegans use to substitute the cream and realised that adding avocado can achieve the same creamy texture but make the pasta a lot healthier. This is super quick to make and tastes delicious so avo go!
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- Fresh tagliatelle (you can find this in the chiller italian section in supermarkets/ can make your own pasta or just use dried- you can also use spaghetti rather than tagliatelle)
- 1 ripe avocado, skin and stone removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small handful of basil leaves
- 1 small handful of rocket
- 1 small handful of parmesan cheese, grated and some for garnish (or vegan cheese)
- 1 big ladle of the cooking pasta water
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- A few rashers of bacon, chopped into small pieces (optional)
- Boil a pan of water. Add some salt and olive oil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- In a blender or food processor blitz the avocado flesh, garlic cloves, basil leaves, rocket, parmesan, some of the pasta water and lemon juice. Blend. If the sauce is too thick then add some more of the pasta water.
- In a frying pan, fry the bacon in olive oil until crispy.
- Once the pasta is cooked, stir the avocado carbonara sauce through the pasta. Add the bacon. Season the pasta and add some more parmesan if you want.
- To serve drizzle with olive oil and add parmesan shavings (using a veg peeler to shave the parmesan block).
I have used ingredients that I enjoy, but you can also mix it up and use spinach instead of rocket, or add toasted pine nuts or tomatoes to the pasta. If you are feeling adventurous, add a few whole pecans to the pesto.