Another vegan recipe! Crispy vegetable tempura, coated in garlic, chilli & 5 spice- the perfect fakeaway. I have used vegetables but you can use anything- aubergine and chicken also works well.
Ingredients: (serves 5 small portions)
- Vegetables (I used peppers, mushrooms, green beans, baby corn, sugar snap peas and broccoli)
- 5 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- Oil, for deep frying (sunflower or groundnut oil is usually the best)
- 1 tbsp of 5 spice powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
For the batter:
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 150ml ice-cold sparkling mineral water along with a few ice cubes (just put the sparkling water bottle in the freezer about 1 hour before use)
- Chop all of the vegetables into bite size pieces. Chop the spring onions, chilli and garlic separate to the other vegetables.
- Make the batter, by mixing the dry batter ingredients together first. Then slowly pour in the cold sparkling water, whilst whisking the batter. Do not over whisk.
- Look at the consistency of the batter. It should be thick and not too runny. Get one of your vegetable pieces and put into the batter, to test. Take it out of the batter, if the batter falls of it, then the batter is too thin, add more flour. If the batter is not mixing well, then add more sparkling water, until the desired consistency.
- Now put your vegetables into the batter, in batches.
- Before you heat the oil up, get a large tray and cover the base with a few layers of kitchen roll to absorb the oil, after you fry. Also line a plate with kitchen towel.
- Heat some oil in a wok. I heated about half a wok full.
- Firstly fry the spring onions, chilli and garlic. To test the oil is hot enough (you want it to get to about 190 degrees celcius), get a piece of spring onion and carefully lower it into the oil, with a metal slotted spoon. When the spring onion rises to the top of the oil, it is ready.
- Carefully lower the spring onion, chilli and garlic into the oil, and fry for a few minutes. After this, take it out with a slotted spoon, onto the plate lined with kitchen towel.
- Shake off the excess batter from the vegetables and add to the oil, in batches. Do not crowd the wok/ pan. Fry for a few minutes, until crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and spread out on the tray lined with kitchen towel.
- Once all of the vegetables are on the tray, sprinkle with the spring onions, garlic and chilli. Also sprinkle on the 5 spice, garlic powder and season with lots of sea salt and white pepper (or black pepper if you do not have white).
- Serve with soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, and chilli oil.