This is one of my favorite summer salads- it is super quick to make and is packed with vitamins and antioxidants. You can use whatever fruit or vegetables you have at home, perfect for using up leftovers.
Ingredients: (serves 4 large portions)
- 1 mango (try to find a mango that is not overly soft, still firm), peeled and chopped into strips (see below)
- 1 papaya (if you can find one), peeled and chopped into strips (see below)
- Half a lettuce, shredded
- Half a red cabbage, shredded
- Half a pack of fine green beans (boiled in hot water for about 5 minutes)
- Half a pack of sugar snap peas or mangetout (boiled in hot water for about 5 minutes)
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- Half a cucumber, with the middle seeds scooped out, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 handful of beansprouts
- 3 shallots or 1 white onion, sliced
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5 radishes, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and made into ribbons, using the peeler, or spiralised
- 2 chillies, with seeds taken out, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 handful of mint, finely chopped
- 1 handful of peanuts (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1 lime, squeezed into juice
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce (miss this out if you are vegetarian)
- 2 tsp palm sugar or normal sugar
- 3 small chillies, finely chopped (use less if you do not want it spicy)
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar (if you have it)
- I find the easiest way to peel a mango and papaya is with a regular peeler. Then take the seeds out of the papaya with a spoon. Cut both the mango and papaya into strips.
- Chop all of the fruit and vegetables and put onto large plates.
- To make the dressing, simply mix all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir, or you can also put the ingredients into a clean jar and shake.
- Now layer your plates up with the fruit and vegetables, alternating in colours. Top the salad with the chopped herbs, peanuts and pour the dressing equally over the plates.
- You can put cooked chicken or salmon (or any meat or fish) on top of the salad, but I usually just eat this on its own along with a healthy green smoothie.(The smoothie is kale, green apple, lime juice, ginger, coconut water and ice).